Security: A Big Problem for Big Data Doug Miles 3/6/2014 2 comments More than six out of 10 managers involved with big data projects say that security is a major concern, perhaps even a show-stopper, when it comes to big data initiatives.
Security: A Quarter Doesn't Cut It James M. Connolly 2/7/2014 6 comments While it's good that 25% of big companies are planning to implement big data analytics for infosecurity within two years, you have to wonder what the remaining 75% are doing.
Your Guide to Big Data Analytics Platforms James M. Connolly 1/30/2014 16 comments If you want to learn more about what various big data analytics platforms can do for your organization and how they are different, be sure to check out the latest feature in InformationWeek.
Beware the Ugly Downside of Big Data James M. Connolly 1/29/2014 24 comments Something to consider about big data is whether seemingly good moves to favor one group unfairly discriminate against other classes, based on factors such as race, age, and sexual identity.
Do You Have Enough Data Entrepreneurs? Doug Miles 1/29/2014 22 comments As enterprises continue to search for the talent they need for big data projects, one interesting twist is that they seem to be moving from the "why" stage to where they are looking at how they get the project done.
Do the Big Data Balancing Act James M. Connolly 1/27/2014 48 comments One of the challenges facing corporate decision-makers is balancing the risk of doing a big data project with the risk of not doing it. Yet, when they weigh those risks, maybe they will see a path to doing big data right.
Computational Marketing Rolls On Daniel D. Gutierrez 1/23/2014 18 comments Despite concerns about privacy, computational marketing offers benefits to consumers, with better targeting of ads that address their preferences and past experiences.
Think of the Data Scientist as a Bit of Everyone James M. Connolly 1/21/2014 43 comments Maybe it's time to stop thinking of the data scientist as a super individual who meets all types of tech and business requirements, and accept the role as one of team, with each member bringing skills to the table.
The big data market is predicted to grow six times faster than the overall IT market. The phenomenal growth in data analytics, business intelligence, open-source tools, and related technologies in 2013 looks set to continue.